Tuesday, November 29, 2016

1943 British - Motor Anti-tank Platoon

I've completed the next platoon for my 1000pt 1943 British Motor Company - a Motor Anti-tank Platoon of 6pdr portees with a dismounted option.
Since Battlefront don't have anti-tank crew in their Italian Campaign range, I've reused some of my old 8th Army crew, with shorts converted into trousers using Milliput to make them better match the rest of the figures.
I have found very little information about the use of portees in Italy. For the camouflage scheme, I have largely based it on the standard 3-ton truck pattern, with further inspiration taken from video of the United Nations Parade in Cairo, 1943 (portees appearing at 2:45). I've painted the racked ammunition boxes in SCC2 brown to provide a point of contrast.
The portees in that video are on the Bedford QL chassis, whereas the Battlefront model is a Ford F60 - unfortunately I have no idea of the prevalence of each type, and there don't appear to be any Bedford-mounted 6pdr portees in 15mm anyway. A conversion of a QLT kit might be possible, but we'll leave that challenge for another project.
I still have three carriers and the Company HQ to paint. I've painted the remainder of the infantry and only need to base them, so things are looking like they're on track for completion over the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment