Saturday, October 17, 2015

ValleyCon List - First Team Completed

Last night I completed the first model for my ValleyCon army: a Rolls Royce armoured car. A simple build, straight out of the box, with just the addition of a (hugely overscale) radio antenna.

I don't usually base vehicles, but have decided to base the armoured cars here as they are narrow and top heavy. The trucks and quad tractors for the support elements are all one-piece resin models with bases moulded on, so it also helps tie everything together. And, it was a chance to decide on basing style before getting stuck into the infantry and gun teams.

Some photos:



Reasonably happy with the result, although of course the close-up photos are incredibly unforgiving and I can now see defects that were invisible before. Now I only have to remember how I did it and repeat it ten times...

I have been toying with the idea of swapping one of the Morris/RR platoons for an RAF Rolls Royce platoon, as this gives a couple of upgrades that can use up the last 10 points that I have spare. This fits nicely with the theme of the list, as Combeforce also included cars from No. 2 Armoured Car Company, RAF.

I believe the RAF Rolls Royce armoured cars had the older, fully-enclosed turret, rather than the open-topped turret used by the Hussars. I have had a go at scratch-building the alternative turret, to give me an option of swapping out the kit turrets if I decide to go with the RAF option. The results are shown below, on the hull of the car posted earlier.



4 comments:

  1. Looking swish there squire. Love the enclosed turret too, very nice. I'll be keen to see the whole army all done and have another crack at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks McZ. May not be all done, but certainly keen to have fewer proxies next time we face off...

      Delete
  2. Looking lovely mate, I love the camo - you've really pulled that off well. My NikuHaku teams can't wait to have a crack at them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, will post an update this weekend with the trucks I was working on while watching your game of Impetus, and hopefully some infantry too. Good news is that the rest of the armoured cars and the portees arrived this week, so should be able to make real progress now.

      Delete