Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Weekend Painting

Over the weekend my wife was out of town, so I had a bit more time than usual for painting after the kids were in bed than could usually be justified. I ended up painting four Jagdpanthers that I had picked up at some stage on a whim. These were resin kits that included a plastic sprue with tracks, gun barrels, hatches, stowage etc.





Not 100% happy now that they're finished: the plastic tracks are excellent, but they are wider than the metal tracks the resin hull was originally designed for, so stick out about 1mm wider than they should. I didn't notice until I glued the front mudguards on, and I'm annoyed that I didn't stop at that point and fix it. At some stage I'm going to have to go back, take them off and work out where to slim the parts down and make them fit better.


Now that I have 900-odd points of Jagdpanthers, I'm not entirely sure what to do with them. They are of course useful as a support platoon for a variety of different lists, although I'm not sure many games could justify four of them. More promising are a couple of Jagdpanther lists, being the 654. and 559. schwere Panzerjägerkompanie lists from "Atlantik Wall" and "Bridge by Bridge" respectively.

I like the look of the 559. list, with the idea of Jagdpanthers backed up by StuGs, Wirbelwinds and FJ being quite attractive. It'll be hopeless on the table: a company of a small number of expensive tanks, fragile on the flanks, that will usually end up having to attack, without being able to take any recce platoons, but at least it'll look good as it falls in a screaming heap.

The 654. list for Normandy doesn't have any combinations that jump out as strongly, but it's been suggested that people might be keen for a Normandy day at the Club sometime so it's something I'll have to look into.

No comments:

Post a Comment