Sunday, September 30, 2018

More Soviets for Team Yankee

This week I managed to paint a set of Soviet Motor Rifle heavy weapons for Team Yankee. This was the new plastic set, of one AGS-17 team and two AT-4 Spigot teams. I was a little disappointed when I first saw the figures - my first experience of Battlefront's plastic infantry - but they grew on me and were pretty good to paint. I'd be quite happy buying more of them.
AGS-17 team.  At a truly ridiculous ROF 9.
AT-4 Spigot team. AT 19, ROF 3.
I have now completed a full Motor Rifle Company including heavy weapons The Spigots are not an option in the BMP companies, only the BTR company which I have no intention of doing. They will however find a use when running Afgantsy, and to this end I'll pick up another Gremlin team and an AGS-17 team for running two minimum sized companies in small games.
The other painting I did this week were three Spandrels. These came out of watching a game last week where the Soviets were trying to fend off about a million LAVs. It was a useful reminder that you can spend a lot of effort focusing on how to deal with the M1s and Leopard 2s, but there will be games where it's the volume, rather than quality, of shots that matters. You don't get that from T-72s. And so, three AT21 shots for 2pts seems like a good start.
The Battlefront model is a good resin and metal kit, crisp and nicely detailed, including suspension in the wheel wells where no one will ever see it.
The plan for this week is to paint up the BRDM-2s I had originally planned for this week (another strand in my "get more shots" plan), plus a couple of Hinds. Because you always need more Hinds.

2 comments:

  1. I've got an AGS-17 stand for you- I don't need it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, that’s appreciated.

      Delete